I know it's my second day and all but I'm gonna go for it on this one.
A lot of the churches that my friends go to and that I've visited over the years have been exuberantly different from the style of worship that I grew up with. They had instruments; we had accapella. Now, I was never a stone-thrower at instruments in worship, it just wasn't part of our services. But as I grew up, I listened to other people's opinions and thought about it for hours at a time(cause work was that boring); and the answer I've come up with is this: As long as it does not hinder you from glorifying God with your worship, I do not believe it to be wrong.
David continuously played the harp and sang to God at the same time. It was his past time while tending to his father's flocks. the Israelites used tamborines and such to show their praise and thanks to God for getting them through the Red Sea to the other side. So it is possible to worship God and use instruments to do so, but I believe the difference between David, back then, and the technology we have now, it's become more of a customary thing.
"We have to have a projector on this wall and this wall.". "We have to have flatscreens in 14 seperate locations so everyone can see the preacher.". Personally, if you need 14 seperate flatscreens, there's a bigger issue here. Another big thing that involves worship and instruments: events such as Winterjam or "Aqcuire The Fire". Again, I don't think worshipping with instruments is the issue; but when things start to turn into a "feel-good" moment and stray away from actually worshipping God, that's where the big problem is. I don't believe you're supposed to go away "feeling-good," as it were; you go away with the idea that you learned something.
So again, I don't think using instruments is wrong; as long as they don't hinder you from truly worshipping God.
Psalms 150
ReplyDeleteLife is worship. Worship in its truest form does not happen on Sunday mornings in church. Worship happens with our every breath and thought. With this in mind, I believe that worship is personal. One of my most worshipful moments in my life was me locking myself in a room and crying/screaming for a little while that God would come move in my life and get me out of the way. Worship is whatever truly connects you to Christ. If music distracts you, then instruments do not need to be involved in your worship. But that certainly doesn't make them evil, unbiblical, etc. And the same vice versa. I like your opinion dude and think you're hitting it right on the button.
ReplyDelete