Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Work Ethics?

I have worked as a valet for the past almost 4 years for this hotel.  And a lot of the time, I get questioned as to why I run when someone needs a car brought to the front entrance.  I then follow with a slightly bewildered look and then realize that people aren't used to other people actually caring for them and their things.

 A lack of work ethic has to seemed to befallen people in general.  I know there are a few people that still keep a work ethic close; but you'll notice most of them are getting up there in their years.  Most people in their 20's and/or slightly/younger older don't understand what it means to give their best at a job.  the whole definition of the word "work" is as it sounds:  The expectation that work, whether it be physical, spiritual, mental, or verbal, is to be given during whatever hours you are prescribed in the day at said job.  And after awhile, it gets frustrating to hear people who haven't really been around long enough to complain about working, complaining.  What happened to working your hardest rather than just thinking, "Oh, I have to go to work *again*?"?  One: Be thankful you have a job. Two:  You get paid, so quit your squawkin'.  Colossians 3:23-24(ESV) states it plain and simple: "Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ." 

Now, I understand that work gets irritating and there are people that you don't want to deal with both inside, and outside the workplace, and believe me, I have it every day I work and am still working on it); but it still stands: give your best no matter who or what is around you.  That way, people will see what you do and rememeber what it means to have the idea of "Work your hardest" rattling in their brains next time they're at work.     

1 comment: