Oh hey, look at that. It's voting time...again.
Like most of America today, I went out, stood in line and voted for who I believe is the best choice for presidency. But unlike most people, I hope that I hold a slightly different post-voting way of thinking.
Most people follow the normal procedure: Vote. Go home. Turn on the news. Watch every second of the numbers and worry about whether or not their vote made a difference. Me? I prefer to vote then either go rock climbing, or play Halo(any number). It seems so much simpler than fretting over something that I am no longer in charge; something that only God carries with no hardship.
"4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice.
5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand;
6 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.
7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.
9 What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me-practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you." - Philippians 4:4-9
This is the glue that should hold us together when times of strife such as election time comes around every 4 years. "Do not be anxious about ANYTHING;" meaning don't be worried about whether the person you voted for is winning or not. The life we've been giving is about so much more then whether Romney or Obama get elected/re-elected. And following in the next part of verse 6, "...but in EVERYTHING by prayer and supplication thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God...". This clearly is telling that if you must worry about whether your vote counted or not, cast the fear, doubt, angst on the one Being that has the ability to handle it all.
But even then, following in verse 8 and 9 reaffirms that what we think of afterwards should be true, honorable, just, pure, lovely, commendable, and worthy of praise. And the best part is that all those represent, so clearly, God. And by doing all that, a peace that passes all possible human understanding will guard you from the unwanted doubt that you have.
It's so simple, yet so difficult.
No comments:
Post a Comment